Back at the beginning of the year, I talked about setting a one word intention for the year ahead. This is something I did last year and it was a huge success. It gives me something to focus on, a touch stone to come back to when I’m starting to teeter off the wagon or in need of grounding. Last year, it was all about discovery, and this year, my chosen word was balance. 3 months down the line, here’s a little look at how I’m getting on.
In two words; I’m struggling.
Turns out finding and creating balance in your life isn’t an easy road. But let’s start with the positives. In a bid for more balance in my life I have so far;
- Re-started my yoga practice. I’m doing it almost daily now but I’m not beating myself up over the days I miss.
- I’m meditating. Minimum 10 minutes most days. I tried a 20 minute guided meditation but couldn’t stop myself from getting distracted. Still a lot of work to do there but I am loving how much clearer my mind feels afterwards. I’m bouncing between using the Headspace app and following guided meditation videos from The Honest Guys.
- I’m aiming for less screen time. I talked about my addiction to scrolling through social media a few weeks back and since then I have been really really trying to kick the habit. In some ways it’s been a win, I’ve been reading a hell of a lot more, but still find myself with phone in hand for no reason.
Which takes us on to the less than positive;
- Trying to take a step back is hard. I’ve always been of the mindset that if a day hasn’t had a million and one things ticked off a to-do list, then the day has been a waste and I am a terrible person. Letting go of that mindset it bloody difficult. I feel like there’s a fine line between resting and being lazy and at times, I feel like I’m just being lazy and using ‘finding balance’ as a pathetic excuse. Is that really the case? Honestly, I don’t know!
- Phases. Everything feels like a phase. Especially when it comes to blogging. I have times where I feel like I have nailed the blog-work-life balance, then fall behind schedule and stress about posts and blog-min. I really want to try working on scheduling my time better, but still leaving wiggle room in there so it doesn’t feel so regimented!
Honestly, last year went so much more smoothly than this. I even found myself questioning whether balance was the right intention for me this year. Then I realised I was giving up because it was hard, so clearly, it is something I need in my life. Not everything is going to be easy, but the harder we have to work for it sometimes, the more rewarding it is in the end.
How are you getting on with your one word intention for the year?
Until next time,