How much is too much when it comes to skin care? Recently, I shared my current skincare routine and someone told me they thought it was pretty excessive. A few hours later and someone told me they can't believe how few products I actually use, they easily use twice as many as I mentioned - surely I used more than I was letting on?
No. Everything I mentioned, I use, nothing was left out. To some it's excessive, to others it's not enough, but just how much is too much?
When I was younger I used every lotion and potion I could get my hands on. I'd apply an anti-aging serum, then an acne treatment, an acne prevention cream, an spf moisturiser, and two eye creams; one for defeating dark circles, the other for looking after the delicate eye area. I'd wash with an exfoliating scrub every night, and in the morning I'd use two different face washes - and I couldn't figure out why my skin wasn't getting any better. It must be the products, so I'd change them, using more not less.
The problem was, using any and all things meant they were all fighting for a chance. Layering on cream after cream simply clogged up my pores, causing more spots to appear. Over exfoliating my skin meant it went into defence mode and produced twice as much oil to protect itself and attempt to restore balance. And an anti-aging serum when your just 16? Sounds kind of ridiculous now!
How many skincare products do I need?
- Use targeted products for specific problems - and treat one problem at a time.
- Alternatively, use a multi-functional product that does several jobs at once.
- Use products targeted at you age-range. If you're in your twenties, don't be using products specifically designed for the over 50s etc.
- Stop using unnecessary products e.g a separate cream for your face and neck.
- Follow the instructions on the product packaging, they're there for a reason! If an exfoliator says, 'use sparingly 1 - 2 times a week' then take their advice and use it no more than stated!
I've come to realise that skincare, just like the finer things in life, should be something savoured, enjoyed and used sparingly.
How many products are in your current skincare routine? Do you think you're using too many? Let's have a chat in the comments below!
Until next time,